The German Society for Pediatric Infectious Diseases (DGPI)
What is the DGPI?
- The German Society for Pediatric Infectious Diseases (DGPI) was registered as a nonprofit organization in 1991. It arose out of a collaboration between the Working Group of the Pediatrics Association in former East Germany and the Commission for Infectious Diseases of the German Pediatrics Society in former West Germany.
What are the goals of the DGPI?
- To promote scientific and practical interests related to pediatric infectious diseases and to expand and disseminate knowledge about infectious diseases among children and adolescents.
- To develop the scientific bases for the best possible care of children and adolescents with infectious diseases and to work toward their prevention by advancing original scientific research.
- To promote professional development in the field of pediatric infectious diseases.
- To foster national and international cooperation in the field of infectious diseases in children and adolescents.
What projects does the DGPI organize or engage in?
- An annual meeting (with reduced entrance fees for DGPI members)
- An annual intensive course on infectious diseases (with reduced course fees for DGPI members)
- Pediatric antibiotic stewardship courses twice a year (with reduced course fees for DGPI members)
- The publication of the DGPI Handbook
- Participation in the development infectious disease guidelines
- The award of research grants and scholarships
- The award of training scholarships for the supplementary certification in „Pediatric Infectious Diseases“ according to the European Curriculum.
History and founding of the organization
- On 30 May 1991 in Munich, as part of an event of the German Green Cross (President Prof. Dr. H. Spieß), 72 colleagues participated in founding the German Society for Pediatric Infectious Diseases (Deutsche Gesellschaft für Pädiatrische Infektiologie). The initiative was based upon the intensive cooperation efforts of Dr. Scholz in Berlin and Prof. Dr. Adam in Munich. Members of the DGPI’s first board of directors were Dr. Scholz (1st Chair), Prof. Dr. Stehr (2nd Chair), Prof. Dr. Adam (Secretary) and Prof. Dr. Roos (Treasurer), along with Prof. Dr. Kreth, Prof. Dr. Wiersbitzky and Dr. Handrick as Advisory Board members. By the spring of 1995, the DGPI had grown to include over 250 full and supporting members.
DGPI Annual Conference
Our next annual conference will be taking place from 19-20 June 2020 in Mannheim, Germany. For up-to-date information about this event, please refer to the „Jahrestagung“ post on our DGPI events page.
Infectious Diseases Intensive Course
Our next Infectious Diseases Intensive Course will be taking place from 19-21 September 2019 in Bochum, Germany. For up-to-date information about this event, please refer to the „Infektiologischer Intensivkurs (iik)“ post on our DGPI events page.
Antibiotic Stewardship Course
Our next Antibiotic Stewardship Course will be taking place from 16-18 September 2019 in Bochum, Germany. For up-to-date information about this event, please refer to the „ABS“ post on our DGPI events page.